Forefront RF was founded with a clear vision: to create a respected RF component business that makes multi-band smartphones, wearables and IoT devices simpler to design and more globally accessible. We’re based in Cambridge, UK, one of the most exciting, innovative and picturesque cities in the world. It’s at the heart of technology innovation in the UK where world-class businesses, R&D centres and universities come together to drive ground-breaking discoveries forward.
The company is founded on collaboration inside and out, so we’re building a team that shares a determination to succeed together. For us, success means solving our customer’s problems by combining our talents to share in the ultimate rewards. We embrace diversity, because solving hard problems needs a broad perspective.
Everyone who joins the company now will have a profound influence on our culture as we shape it together. Recognising this, we offer a competitive salary and attractive options package so that when we succeed, the whole team benefits. We’re serious about building a great technology company at Forefront RF, and we’re going to have fun doing it.
So, if you’re ready to push your boundaries to resist an ordinary working life, and build better, then come and join us!
This is an amazing opportunity to join Forefront RF at an early stage and lead the RFIC design team as they grow in both size and capability. The RFIC design team are responsible designing the silicon devices in Forefront RF’s products, which comprise our adaptive passive cancellation (APC) RF hardware, and software algorithms which control the signal cancellation.
The RFIC Design Team Leader will be responsible for the day-to-day line management of the team, providing both technical and personal leadership and support to the rest of the team.
In this role, the RFIC Design Team Leader will be working as both line manager for the RFIC design team, as well as senior engineer. As such, you need to be able to work as a hands-on member of the team, whilst also leading the other engineers within the group. You will work closely with other groups within Forefront RF to define and agree product roadmaps and ensure that the RFIC design team deliver products on target.
Reporting directly to the CTO, you will work closely with the with the senior management team on a daily basis.
The RFIC Design Team Leader will be responsible for:
- Designing performance critical circuit blocks (RF CMOS) to meet the overall system requirements
- Semiconductor process evaluation and selection
- Interpreting system specifications into IC design specifications
- Overseeing IC top level simulation and verification
- Floor planning and chip size estimation
- Managing the foundry interface from design kit evaluation through to tape out
- Project planning and estimation
- Communicating project progress with a range of stakeholders
- Recruiting and leading the IC design team
Skills and Experience
- A BSc in electronics, communication systems or similar subject
- Demonstrable experience of designing high performance circuits in RF CMOS
- Previous experience of leading the development of an RF CMOS device from initial concept through to mass production
- Familiarity with the range of RF IC EDA tools available including Cadence Virtuoso
- Excellent experience of working as a team lead or similar
- Previous experience of recruiting and managing technical staff
- An MSc or PhD in electronics, communication systems or similar subject
- Previous experience working in a small, growing tech company
- Experience of building a new team, from scratch
- Experience of designing on chip electromagnetic structures
- Working in 3GPP based RF Systems
- Excellent Salary
- Pension contribution
- Share options
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
Keep good relationships – we seek to build collaborative, respectful and value-laden relationships at every level
We succeed together – each person involved in our company and network of partners, will share the fruit of our success
Listen well – Listening is the first part of communication. All involved should be heard
Be present – we commit to giving our full attention to the task at hand, and the people we ‘re with
The customer leads– the customer’s needs underpin and drive our intent, and our technologies must work for them
Sustainability is a key KPI – Forefront RF is proactively working to sustainably increase the useful life of mobile phones
Ambitious – we’re not daunted by big challenges and will find a way through together