Cambridge GaN Devices (CGD) is a tech start-up with the mission to transform the way the world deploys energy by delivering the most efficient power switch. No more wasted energy and yes to efficient power electronics that can enable less CO2 emissions and smaller, less bulky electronics. CGD is a fabless semiconductor company, spun out of the world-renowned Electronics Department at the University of Cambridge, and is focused on designing, developing and commercialising power transistors and Integrated Circuits based on the most efficient material available, Gallium Nitride (GaN).
Triggered by a world-wide need to save energy and achieve a more sustainable use of natural resources, the power electronics market will see significant innovation over the next 10 years. Having already built a team who are leaders in their field, with decades of expertise in the power semiconductor industry, CGD are leading the way towards this energy-revolution.
Would you like to contribute to shaping the future of power electronics, by joining a growing team in a passionate and innovative environment? Join CGD and be part of the adventure!
This is an amazing opportunity to join CGD at an early stage and help build and shape our company culture and values. This role will be instrumental in developing and delivering our HR roadmap to ensure a seamless and positive employee experience across the entire employee lifecycle.
The People & Talent Officer will report into the Finance Director and will be the first dedicated HR role within CGD, providing the opportunity to really shape and drive CGD’s entire approach to HR. The CGD team is largely based in the UK, but we have an increasingly global footprint and are looking for someone who has experience of working with overseas teams (or is keen to learn!).
CGD has huge ambitions to continue its growth trajectory and we are looking for an enthusiastic HR professional who is looking to gain a wide range of experience and exposure across the organisation.
Whilst there is some support (administrative) already within CGD, joining us at this early stage in our evolution will require a very hands-on approach, and the successful person must be prepared to manage the admin tasks associated with running a HR department. Most importantly, we are looking for someone excited by the challenges of working for a start-up, who is keen to grow along with the company.
As our People & Talent Officer, we would love you to take ownership of:
- Developing and delivering our HR strategy and roadmap (alongside the leadership team) as the company grows
- Leading team specific initiatives around company culture, values and location strategy
- Keeping up to date with relevant employment law to ensure practical application of any changes required
- Working closely with our team leaders (partnering) to ensure we maintain our innovative, collaborative and knowledgeable approach to everyday business challenges
- Ensuring we continue to develop our employee policies and communication strategy
- Maintaining our HR online system (PeopleHR) including starters and leavers
- Working with our Recruitment and Payroll partners to ensure seamless delivery of these services, owning the inputs and outputs provided by both
- Supporting our global expansion by understanding country specific needs and tailoring our approach as necessary
- Onboarding of new starters and ensuring all relevant documentation is complete, including Visa applications if required, contracts and offer letters (both employee and consultants)
Skills and Experience
- CIPD Qualified (or working towards), or demonstrable HR generalist experience
- Exposure to working in a technology, engineering or R&D environment
- Understanding of working with a diverse workforce and enthusiasm for ensuring we maintain and enhance this diversity
- Experience working with international teams or a desire to learn
- Good knowledge HR best practice and UK employment law
- Competitive salary
- Life Assurance
- Pension scheme
- BUPA Cash Plan – Level 3
- Share options scheme available (so you own a piece of the company!)
- Annual leave allowance of 33 days (including bank holidays)
- Flexible working options (both location and times)
- Referral bonus scheme
- Training and development
- Regular social events including frequent company lunches, annual Summer party, Christmas party, team building and wellbeing activities
We believe in equal opportunities
It takes a diverse and inclusive community of passionate, talented and committed people to build a system to shape the future of power electronics. We’re an equal opportunity employer, and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, with different outlooks and experiences. We are well set up for collaborative hybrid working, with some members of the team working in the UK office and some from home in the UK and other cities in Europe and Asia.